Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am a Bad Person

I guess i'm not that bad, but I didn't have anytime to go see W. and I feel bad about it. It isn't playing here in Fredonia, of course, so when I have the chance I will have to drive somewhere and see it. Soon hopefully.

But,
I did read some reviews online.

Entertainment Weekly gave the movie a C+, mainly because it was not a fair and balanced biography like it was made out to be. The movie focuses on Bush's fumbles and the son that struggled to win approval of his father. It gives the audience a glimpse into his younger years where he made many mistakes, and his presidency, where he made many mistakes, but it fails to make the connection between the two. On the other hand the review said, "The intrepid one is the outstanding Josh Brolin, who does such a phenomenal job in the title role that he carries every scene he's in to a place of subtlety and integrity...nailing Bush's posture and gestures without stooping to easy mannerism, conveying the contradictions of a polarizing president with real generosity." The author gave Brolin an A, so he must have played Bush pretty well. Too bad that the rest of the movie doesn't sound too good, but I will still have to make the trip to see for myself.

I couldn't find anything on the President's reaction, which I didn't think I would, but I found a reaction from his brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush. He said, "The Oedipal rivalry is high-grade, unadulterated hooey", meaning that the movie is not portraying his brother accurately (in plain English). He said that neither the writer nor director called to fact check any part they were including in the movie...interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't gone to see "w" either, and am no longer planning on it. Four of my friends went to see it this past weekend and walked out. They said it was extremely biased and it portrayed Bush as being extremely stupid and only in the place he is because of his father. These friends are of the liberal political nature so I was surprised to hear them defending Bush. I no longer plan on seeing it, although maybe I'll rent it down the line.

Lisa said...

Wow, I have never walked out of a movie, but I guess if it was that bad, it wasn't worth sitting through to get the moneys worth. That is interesting to hear that they are liberal, but defended Bush, that shows how biased the movie actually is. Bush must have some intelligence, he became our president. It would be nice to see the good and the bad. Thanks for sharing your story!